A view from above
In the place where I pray each morning in the church, there is a view just now across the houses to a huge tower crane rising above the roofs. In a little while the driver will be up there in his cab. A friend of mine who spent all his working life in the construction industry once told me that the people who operate tower cranes were ‘ a breed apart’ – used to their own company high above the construction site. I have to say, in this empty church this morning, I feel something of an affinity with him.
- He is lowering things in from a great height, whilst I am looking to a great height
- He is constructing a building in the heart of the community, whilst I am reaching a community from the heart of this building.
- He must work alone, and so, on occasions, must I.
- He cannot do his job without support and instruction from the ground, and nor can I.
- From his perspective he can see how far there is to go, and how much impact the building will make.
I hope you have a good day, Mr Crane-Man.